• Providing Immigration Solutions
    for Employers & Individuals
  • Providing Immigration Solutions
    for Employers & Individuals
  • Providing Immigration Solutions
    for Employers & Individuals
  • Providing Immigration Solutions
    for Employers & Individuals
  • Immigration Solutions for
    Employers, Families, and Individuals

Options for Laid off or Benched H-1B Workers

So you’ve been laid off or have been benched without pay, and you’re concerned about your H-1B work status. Perhaps you’ve been without employment for months, and finally found an interested employer who told you that they would hire you, but their attorney told them that you were not fine to transfer because you don’t have pay stubs to prove that you were maintaining status. People have told you the standard advice that “there is no grace period” in H-1B once you lose your job, and that you are therefore now unlawfully present in the US.

The truth of the matter is, even when you’ve been laid off or benched, you might not necessarily have to leave the country, especially if your termination was due to your employer’s unscrupulous conduct. Factors that weigh into the analysis as to whether you may port your H-1B to an new employer in the US include: 1) whether you have an unexpired H-1B visa in your passport, 2) whether your employer failed to pay you for your work, 3) whether your employer threatened you in any way, and 4) how long you’ve been without pay.

The following flowchart relating to applying for a change of H-1B employer gives an idea of how these factors come into play:

H1b visa immigration procedure

Great care must be exercised in deciding how to proceed if you’ve been laid off while in H-1B status, because consequences of being an overstayer can be disastrous. For example, if an individual is an overstayer for 180 days or more, a 3-year inadmissibility bar is triggered. So although this article provides some optimism, in certain cases, it really is a good idea to leave the country immediately. A discussion of the best course of action with a knowledgeable immigration attorney is of great importance.

Disclaimer: This article is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this website you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the website publisher. The website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

Latest Pages

1. Radio Show Selected Questions 1

We have realized over time that many of the questions asked on our radio shows are unique and samples of such questions and answers can be helpful to the community. As such we are trying to compile as many helpful … Continue reading

2. Radio Show Selected Questions 2

1) My company is working on the labor Certification, what happened is there is a spelling mistake for the name of the employer, where the two alphabets have been switched would that be a problem? – Is there spelling mistake … Continue reading


After completion of studies, most students request an OPT (Optional Practical Training) EAD card to be able to work. Such a process is common and smooth for most foreign students on F1 visa stutus. However, since the tragic incidents of … Continue reading

4. Feilah Peerally

Feilah Peerally Office Manager Email: feilah@peerallylaw.com Feilah Peerally is the office manager of the Shah Peerally law group. Feilah also handles debt settlement. Feilah has proven to be very effective in creating a new system to allow people to settle … Continue reading

5. Sanam Amir

Sanam Amir Legal Assistant sanam@peerallylaw.com Sanam Amir is a legal assistant at the Shah Peerally Law Group. She has been working at the firm since August 2014. She grew up in Islamabad, Pakistan and Hayward, California. Sanam graduated from the … Continue reading