Working in the United States requires a minimum of a work visa, a work permit, a permanent residence card or being a US citizen.  Work visas and work permits (also known as work authorization documents EAD) are not usually easy to obtain for many reasons, namely that they are usually based for most except a few on a valid job offer.  They are usually classified under either immigrant or non-immigrant visas. Below are some of the options you might want to consider:

Most Common Non-Immigrant Work Visas:

H1B visas – most professionals seeking admission to work in the United States, seek this visa. However, there are few limitations attached to this visa. Read More on H1B visas here.

L1A Visas – these are intra-transferee visas allowing multi-national corporations to transfer Executive or Managerial positions employees to the United States. Note that this visa can successfully be used as an investor visa in some instances. To know more call us at 510 7425887

L1B Visas – these are intra-transferee visas for multi-national companies who are in an specialized occupation. Read about L1B visas here.

TN visas – applicable to NAFTA countries like Mexico and Canada. The visa work a little like the H1B visa except the process is often easier but has many other limitations.

O visas – The O-1 classification is divided into O-1A and O-1B sub-categories. An O-1A visa is for a worker who has extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, athletics, while an O-1B visa is for a worker who has extraordinary ability in the arts, motion picture, or television industry. Read more here

Most Common Immigrant Work Visas

EB1(a) – It is a visa for people of Extraordinary Ability. An EB1A is an immigrant visa in the EB1 category that is reserved for foreign workers of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics. The interesting part with an EB1A, is that it does not require an employer and the visa is available and current for all the countries of the world. Read about EB1A here

EB1B  or EB1-2 – An EB1B is an immigrant visa in the EB1 category that is reserved for outstanding foreign professors and researchers.

EB1C –  An EB1C is an immigrant visa in the EB1 category that is reserved for executives and managers transferred from a multinational corporation.

National Interest Waiver (NIW) – The National Interest is a very interesting EB2 category greencard for those who qualify. It is also an immigrant visa without employer requirement.

EB2 Categories – EB2 can be either NIW or through the labor certification process.  This is among the most common ways to obtain a greencard through employment in the United States.

EB3 Categories – Employment Based category 3 is also a very common way to obtain a permanent residence through employment. The process is the same as the EB2 above except the category and waiting time for a greencard is usually longer.

Most Common Investor Visas

E2 Visa – The E2 treaty visa is available to certain countries which have a treaty with the United States. It is an interesting visa for those from certain European countires, Egypt, Pakistan, Jordan, Singapore and Canada.

EB5 Visa – Investing $1000.000 or $500,000 to obtain a permanent residence.

For those who are no sure what visa(s) might suit them start here:

Click on the one(s) which is/are relevant to you.

Want to Visit the USA?  Want to Study in the USA? Want to Work in the USA? Want to come join a family member in the USA?

Related Posts

  1. February 14, 2019 - USCIS to Publish Revised Form I-539 and New Form I-539A
  2. January 30, 2019 - University of Farmington another UNNJ in the making
  3. August 11, 2018 - USCIS Issues Revised Final Guidance on Unlawful Presence for Students and Exchange Visitors
  4. May 03, 2018 - Federal Register Changed not to allow third party placement of OPT student!
  5. December 02, 2016 - Immigrants’ Know Your Rights Law Show
  6. November 22, 2016 - Class Action Filed by UNNJ students
  7. October 15, 2016 - Herguan University SEVP is being terminated
  8. July 28, 2016 - Possible Class Action by famous Attorney Ira Kurzban for UNNJ students.
  9. July 09, 2016 - Consulting companies can place STEM OPT students but cannot sign the form I-983
  10. June 30, 2016 - Shah Peerally Law Show June 30th 2016
  11. June 16, 2016 - Alert for F1 Students entering the United States
  12. June 08, 2016 - SEVIS issues FAQs on new redesigned form I-120
  13. June 01, 2016 - Quick Updates on NPU situation
  14. June 01, 2016 - What is/are acceptable field(s) to be filled for CPT or OPT employment.
  15. May 30, 2016 - Are the Students of NorthWestern Polytechnic University (NPU) in trouble?